Celebrities and politicians have taken to Twitter to register their shock and horror after five police officers were killed and at least six others injured after snipers attacked them in a Black Lives Matter protest in the heart of Dallas.
Shonda Rhimes condemned the “senseless” attacks and actress Rashida Jones said they should be met with love.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sent a message of solidarity, while New York Democratic Rep. Hakeem Jeffries urged a prayer:
Reverend Al Sharpton and singer John Legend called the killings reprehensible:
Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting Donald Trump gave an even-handed response to the violence, while his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton issued a note of mourning:
Others expressed their sadness at yet another shooting, calling for the end of violence:
Nicki Minaj invoked the spirit of Malcolm X
While other celebrities called for more gun crime measures:
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time