The one-term Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh took to Twitter overnight, sending out a series of inflammatory tweets blaming the Black Lives Matter movement, U.S. President Barack Obama and “liberals” for Thursday night’s Dallas shootings.
Hours after five police officers were killed and at least six others were injured during a protest, Walsh — who is now a conservative radio host — tweetstormed his thoughts about the violence in Texas. Police say they have been unable to determine the motives of the shooters.
He then called on all “patriotic Americans” to stand up against “all the Cop haters – from Obama to the thugs on the street.”
In a tweet that has since been deleted, he said that “this is now war,” telling Black Lives Matter and Obama that “real America is coming for you.”
He was heavily criticized for the inflammatory tweet, with many calling for his arrest. In response, Walsh said:
But he wasn’t done yet, saying it was now up to Americans of all races to stand up to “cop haters”:
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms