Andrew Neel’s upcoming fraternity hazing thriller Goat finds Nick Jonas in a role that is a far cry from his upbeat pop star persona. Based on the 2004 memoir of the same name, the film tells the story of Brad Land (Ben Schnetzer), a 19-year-old college freshman intent on pledging Phi Sigma Mu — the same fraternity as his older brother Brett (Jonas) — only to find that the process is much darker than expected.
In a new trailer released Wednesday by MTV, Brad and his fellow pledges find themselves repeatedly subjected to both violent and demoralizing hazing rituals — from forced drinking to physical abuse — as Brett struggles to reconcile himself with his brothers’ treatment of his sibling.
The movie also features a cameo by producer James Franco, who plays a Phi Sig alum unable to let go of his glory days.
Watch the full trailer below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org