Emma Watson’s latest film hasn’t replicated the box office success she saw in the Harry Potter franchise; The Colony took in only £47 ($61) in its opening weekend in the U.K.
But it’s not as bad as it sounds. The Colony (originally titled Colonia) has a distribution plan geared toward Video on Demand, and its weekend release was mainly symbolic: it played in just three movie theaters, the Guardian reports. A similar plan has been used for films like Al Pacino’s new thriller Misconduct.
The Colony tells the story of a woman (Watson) who tries to rescue her boyfriend from the Colonia Dignidad cult in Pinochet-era Chile. Watson has a few other upcoming film projects that are sure to make bigger waves at the box office: Later this year she’ll star in The Circle alongside Tom Hanks, and next year she’ll play Belle in the live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time