Emma Watson’s latest film hasn’t replicated the box office success she saw in the Harry Potter franchise; The Colony took in only £47 ($61) in its opening weekend in the U.K.
But it’s not as bad as it sounds. The Colony (originally titled Colonia) has a distribution plan geared toward Video on Demand, and its weekend release was mainly symbolic: it played in just three movie theaters, the Guardian reports. A similar plan has been used for films like Al Pacino’s new thriller Misconduct.
The Colony tells the story of a woman (Watson) who tries to rescue her boyfriend from the Colonia Dignidad cult in Pinochet-era Chile. Watson has a few other upcoming film projects that are sure to make bigger waves at the box office: Later this year she’ll star in The Circle alongside Tom Hanks, and next year she’ll play Belle in the live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization