Slovakian tennis star Dominika Cibulkova almost called off her wedding to play in the finals at Wimbledon, thanks to her winning streak in the competition.
The 27-year-old, 19th seeded player will tie the knot with fiancée of four years, Miso Navara, on Saturday in her home town of Bratislava, which happens to be the same day as the Wimbledon singles final. Cibulkova was considering canceling her wedding if she progressed to the final; however Russia’s Elena Vesnina took the slot in today’s match.
Cibulkova hadn’t anticipated making it this far into competition when planning her nuptials, but took the possibility and loss in stride.
“We planned this [the wedding] nine months ago,” Cibulkova said to the Daily Mail. “You never know what can happen.”
While Cibulkova celebrates her wedding, Vesnina will face Serena Williams in the final.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time