An image Donald Trump tweeted Saturday that criticized Hillary Clinton and sparked backlash after it featured a message critics said was in the shape of a Star of David had previously appeared on a message board where racist and anti-Semitic messages are often posted.
The meme the presumptive Republican presidential nominee posted on his official Twitter account called Hillary Clinton the “most corrupt candidate ever.” The words in the since-deleted tweet were emblazoned on a six-pointed star.
The original image appears to have first surfaced over than a week ago on 8chan’s /pol/ board, a website that typically draws neo-Nazis, anti-Semites and white supremacists, Mic first reported.
Other memes on the message board are highly critical of Clinton, immigrants and Muslims, according to NBC News.
Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to Mic’s or NBC’s requests for comment.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve