The family of the woman whose murder was at the center of the Serial podcast condemned the decision to grant the man convicted of the killing a new trial, according to reports. Family members of Hae Min Lee maintained that they continue to believe her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed was responsible.
“We do not speak as often or as loudly as those who support Adnan Syed, but we care just as much about this case. We continue to grieve,” the Lee family said in a statement made through the Maryland Attorney General’s office. “We continue to believe justice was done when Mr. Syed was convicted of killing Hae.”
Syed’s conviction for the 1999 killing of the 18-year-old was cast into doubt by the first season of the Serial podcast that aired in 2014. Syed was granted a new trial this week after 16 years in prison.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now