The family of the woman whose murder was at the center of the Serial podcast condemned the decision to grant the man convicted of the killing a new trial, according to reports. Family members of Hae Min Lee maintained that they continue to believe her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed was responsible.
“We do not speak as often or as loudly as those who support Adnan Syed, but we care just as much about this case. We continue to grieve,” the Lee family said in a statement made through the Maryland Attorney General’s office. “We continue to believe justice was done when Mr. Syed was convicted of killing Hae.”
Syed’s conviction for the 1999 killing of the 18-year-old was cast into doubt by the first season of the Serial podcast that aired in 2014. Syed was granted a new trial this week after 16 years in prison.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022