The family of the woman whose murder was at the center of the Serial podcast condemned the decision to grant the man convicted of the killing a new trial, according to reports. Family members of Hae Min Lee maintained that they continue to believe her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed was responsible.
“We do not speak as often or as loudly as those who support Adnan Syed, but we care just as much about this case. We continue to grieve,” the Lee family said in a statement made through the Maryland Attorney General’s office. “We continue to believe justice was done when Mr. Syed was convicted of killing Hae.”
Syed’s conviction for the 1999 killing of the 18-year-old was cast into doubt by the first season of the Serial podcast that aired in 2014. Syed was granted a new trial this week after 16 years in prison.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief