Four children were fatally stabbed in Memphis, Tenn. Friday, and their mother has been taken into custody.
The authorities responded to a call to an apartment complex in Memphis at 12:50 p.m. local time, KTLA 5 reported. There they found four young children stabbed to death; the deputies who went to the scene described the children as “babies,” a sheriff’s spokesman told the Associated Press.
“Our community has suffered an egregious act of evil and tremendous loss today,” said Sheriff Bill Oldham.
The mother was taken into custody, the AP reported. The names of the mother and the victims were not immediately released.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving