Donald Trump often asks people if they are “friend or foe,” but on Friday that tendency drew controversy when he asked the question of a Turkish reporter asking a question.
“Are you from Turkey, sir?” Trump responded when a journalist, who identified himself on Twitter as Yusuf Serce, asked him a question.
“I think he’s friend,” Trump says to the audience, pointing at the reporter. “Are you friend or foe?” he then asked Serce directly.
This is not the first time Trump has asked someone their allegiance at a campaign event. During rallies, when the presumptive GOP nominee hears sounds of a disruption, sometimes Trump will yell out the question to gauge whether the noise is coming from protesters or cheering fans.
“I just wanted to let him say what he wants to say,” was Serce’s response on Twitter:
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time