Following Sunday’s season six finale of Game of Thrones, Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth) spent the week meeting with Syrian refugees on behalf of the International Rescue Committee.
After speaking firsthand with a few of the tens of thousands currently stranded in Greece, the three actors are advocating for the European Union to reconsider its March agreement with Turkey, a deal that forces migrants to apply for asylum in the “safe third country” before they are allowed to travel there.
“These smart, hardworking people want to go home,” Headey said in a statement, according to Entertainment Weekly. “They want to return to their communities and to their neighborhoods. They want their children to continue their education. They want to continue their university and they are stuck. They’re stuck. And they’re unbelievably sad. Understandably. We can do better for them. We must do better for them.”
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate