Following Sunday’s season six finale of Game of Thrones, Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth) spent the week meeting with Syrian refugees on behalf of the International Rescue Committee.
After speaking firsthand with a few of the tens of thousands currently stranded in Greece, the three actors are advocating for the European Union to reconsider its March agreement with Turkey, a deal that forces migrants to apply for asylum in the “safe third country” before they are allowed to travel there.
“These smart, hardworking people want to go home,” Headey said in a statement, according to Entertainment Weekly. “They want to return to their communities and to their neighborhoods. They want their children to continue their education. They want to continue their university and they are stuck. They’re stuck. And they’re unbelievably sad. Understandably. We can do better for them. We must do better for them.”
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer