“I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris [Johnson] cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead,” wrote Gove in Thursday’s statement. “I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership.”
Since the announced resignation of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron, five high-ranking Conservative members like Gove have made their bids in the party’s leadership contest. But what has caught everyone’s attention is the number of times the Vote Leave campaigner has insisted that he would never run as leader.
Watch the full clip above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time