Americans are a relatively generous lot: a record $373.25 billion was given to charity in 2015–more than $1 billion a day. But perhaps more notable was the gift of time. In the last year measured, 62.6 million Americans volunteered at least once. The city with the highest rate of volunteerism? Salt Lake City, trailed by Minneapolis–St. Paul and Milwaukee.
This appears in the July 11, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy