Not four years ago, the amusement park in Seaside Heights, N.J., was an icon of disaster. Superstorm Sandy shredded the pier in October 2012 and dropped the roller coaster into the Atlantic shallows. The next year brought fire. But a sunny summer Saturday, June 18, found Casino Pier back in form and the Jersey Shore in summer’s warm, sticky embrace.
This appears in the July 11, 2016 issue of TIME.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism