A gunman on Tuesday shot a woman multiple times inside a busy office building in downtown Denver before killing himself, authorities said.
The shooter, whose name has not yet been released, walked into the Alliance Center, a building that houses several environmental organizations, and opened fire on the victim, the Associated Press reports.
“The preliminary investigation indicates that the victim was targeted, that this wasn’t a random shooting,” Denver Police spokesman Doug Schepman said at a news briefing.
Police found the gunman dead at the scene with a “possibly self-inflicted gunshot wound” shortly before 3 p.m., Schepman said. The victim is in critical condition. The relationship between the victim and the suspect is unclear.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.