Golf’s number 1 player Jason Day will not be competing in the 2016 Olympics in Rio due to fears of catching the Zika virus.
In a statement, the 28-year-old golfer wrote: “The reason for my decision is my concerns about the possible transmission of the Zika virus and the potential risks that ii may present to my wife’s future pregnancies and to future members of our family.”
The Australian says that even though the risk of transmission is “slight,” it is a risk he is unwilling to take as he plans on having more children. The virus has been linked to the birth defect microcephaly.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time