Pro-choice activists celebrated a win at the Supreme Court on Monday when a law that limited access to abortion in Texas was struck down. But on social media, at least one celebratory tweet drew more scorn than applause.
“Celebrate the #SCOTUS ruling!,” the Daily Show wrote. “Go knock someone up in Texas!”
The message drew derision from across the political spectrum for its blasé attitude toward abortion — and to some, lack of humor. Media personalities from David Simon to Meghan McCain weighed in on the tweet, and some blamed Trevor Noah’s reign as host for the joke that they said might not have flown during Jon Stewart’s tenure.
The show later tweeted out a clarification of the joke:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out