The stunning decision by the British people to leave the European Union has rocked the world, sending financial markets tumbling and causing a new and unprecedented political crisis – it’s the first time that a country will invoke Article 50 of the European Treaty, which establishes the withdrawal procedures.
The decision came as the prestigious Magnum Photos agency held its annual general meeting in London. For TIME LightBox, 12 of the agency’s photographers selected one photo of Great Britain to express their sentiments on the controversial referendum results.
Michelle Molloy, who edited this photo essay, is a senior international photo editor at TIME.
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time