An armed man was shot dead by police in a German movie theater after reportedly firing his gun at least once, according to local reports.
The incident, reported by the German newspaper Bild, occurred shortly after 3 p.m. in a theater in the town of Viernheim about an hour drive south of Frankfurt. The gunman fired his gun into the air and had ammunition around his shoulder. Police say that at least 25 were affected by tear gas, according to Bild. It is unclear whether any of the injured were harmed by the attacker.
Photo and video emerging from Germany show heavily armed police officers running to the scene. Officials shot the attacker dead because they thought he was holding people hostage in the theater, according to a BBC report.
This is a breaking story and will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Justin Worland at firstname.lastname@example.org