A Muslim officer at the New York Police Department has filed a class action suit against his employer alleging that the department’s no-beard rule infringes on his religious freedom, according to local reports.
Masood Syed, 32, was suspended Tuesday for refusing to shave his beard and filed suit the following day in the Federal District Court in Manhattan, according to a New York Times report. The judge told the NYPD to continue paying Syed until a ruling in July.
The NYPD said that the rule was designed with officer safety in mind. Beards prevent easy use of gas masks, according to the department.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow