During Wednesday’s House sit-in over gun legislation, Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz read aloud an emotional letter from former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was critically wounded in a shooting in 2011.
“Fighting gun violence takes great courage,” Giffords wrote. “I’ve seen great courage when my life was on the line. I see great courage in many of you right now.”
Read the full letter here:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk