Hot on the heels of the announcement that Darth Vader will be making an appearance in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, it has been confirmed that Forest Whitaker will be playing Rebel fighter Saw Gerrera in the upcoming spinoff.
The 54-year-old actor — who provided the foreboding voiceover, “What will you do when they catch you? What will you do if they break you? If you continue to fight…what will you become?,” in the film’s teaser trailer — will make his galaxy far, far, away debut as a hardened version of the The Clone Wars animated series character, according to Entertainment Weekly.
“Consider him kind of a battered veteran who leads a band of Rebel extremists” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told EW. “He’s on the fringe of the Rebel Alliance. Even [they] are a little concerned about him.”
Rogue One is set to hit theaters Dec. 16.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.