With the start of the summer movie season getting underway earlier and earlier every year — Captain America: The Winter Solider hits theaters on Friday, more than 10 weeks before June 21st — the songs that accompany them are arriving sooner as well. The first major summer soundtrack cut, “It’s On Again” by Alicia Keys with help from Kendrick Lamar, drops tomorrow as a prelude to the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on May 2. Since it’s produced by Pharrell, you won’t need to keep seeing Spider-Man over and over — the track is bound to be everywhere this summer.
The song features a little more than 30 seconds of Kendrick rapping over a piano before disappearing, with Keys taking over for the rest of the track. Kendrick’s vocals are about as amped up as you’ll ever hear them, but Keys sounds like she usually does on her more pop-focused tracks — soaring vocals backed by a strong synth beat. “It’s On Again” isn’t exactly a genre-changer, but it may help you forget that the song most closely associated with the franchise up to this point was Chad Kroeger’s “Hero.” That’s a good thing for everyone.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World