John Boyega will join the cast of Kathryn Bigelow’s upcoming movie about the 1967 Detroit riot.
Boyega, who saw breakout success with his role in Star Wars, is the first major star to be formally announced in what’s being described as an ensemble cast, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Hannah Murray of Game of Thrones is also rumored to be in talks for the film.
The as yet untitled film has a screenplay by Mark Boal (who also wrote Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker) and will focus on the systemic racism that drove the five-day rioting.
Bigelow and her team are reportedly hoping to release the film in 2017, pegged to the 50th anniversary of the riot. Other upcoming projects for Boyega include The Circle, Pacific Rim: Maelstrom and Star Wars: Episode VIII.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time