John Boyega will join the cast of Kathryn Bigelow’s upcoming movie about the 1967 Detroit riot.
Boyega, who saw breakout success with his role in Star Wars, is the first major star to be formally announced in what’s being described as an ensemble cast, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Hannah Murray of Game of Thrones is also rumored to be in talks for the film.
The as yet untitled film has a screenplay by Mark Boal (who also wrote Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker) and will focus on the systemic racism that drove the five-day rioting.
Bigelow and her team are reportedly hoping to release the film in 2017, pegged to the 50th anniversary of the riot. Other upcoming projects for Boyega include The Circle, Pacific Rim: Maelstrom and Star Wars: Episode VIII.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization