Louisiana police are investigating the deaths of 3-year-old twins who were found in a hot pickup truck over the weekend.
The mother of the children was home at the time the twins were found on Saturday, and had contacted neighbors saying she was looking for the children, identified as Oliver and Aria Orr, the Shreveport Times reports. A neighbor later located the brother and sister inside the truck, which was parked in the Orr family home’s driveway.
“Our investigation will focus on how the kids ended up in the pickup truck, and whether it was due to someone’s actions or was accidental,” a local police spokesman told PEOPLE. “We’ve yet to determine whether anything occurred here that could warrant criminal charges.”
The children’s father is a deputy with the local sheriff’s office. Autopsies on the twins confirmed their deaths were heat-related.
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time