Following news that Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is struggling financially, opponents of the presumptive Republican nominee took to Twitter on Tuesday with the hashtag #TrumpSoPoor.
The hashtag started trending as people on social media mocked the billionaire businessman for his comparatively small fundraising draw.
Trump’s Democratic rival Hillary Clinton far surpassed him in fundraising last month. Trump’s campaign raised just $3 million in May and started June with $1.3 million in cash on hand, even though Trump became the presumptive nominee in May, which has boosted fundraising for candidates in the past. Clinton’s campaign raised more than $26 million in May, the Associated Press reported. She entered the month of June with $42 million in cash on hand.
Trump and the Republican National Committee, combined, raised about $18.6 million in May. In a statement on Tuesday, Trump justified the comparative lack of funding, saying his campaign could have “unlimited” cash if necessary because he would fund it himself.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color