An Indiana mom is taking action after discovering a viral video of her 7-month-old daughter being doused with gallons of water at a local park while in the care of a sitter, according to WCHM-TV Columbus.
Brittany Dixson was at work when she came across a Facebook clip of a baby sitting underneath of a water dumping bucket at Greenwood, Indiana’s splash pad on Wednesday, she told WCHM-TV.
“When I first saw the video, it was just like why would you put a child underneath so much water at once?” Dixon said. Soon, however, she realized that it was her own little girl, Annora.
“It’s terrifying to think that somebody could do something to your daughter, somebody you trust to watch your daughter at any moment of time,” Dixson said, noting that she’d fired the babysitter and was unsure she could ever trust anyone with her child again.
Fearful for Annora’s health, Dixson took her to the emergency room, she told WCMH-TV.
“She could have inhaled so much water once she went to sleep that night she could have actually drowned in her sleep because the water would have been trapped in her lungs,” she explained. “But she didn’t have any water in her lungs or anything like that but he said that was a major possibility and he’s glad that I brought her in.”
Dixson said that the original poster of the video, Desiree Howell, told her she had been concerned for the well-being of the baby after witnessing the incident.
Howell told the Indiana Star that the babysitter also made the child walk on hot pavement, pushed her too high on a swing and stuck the little girl’s face directly into a sprinkler.
Annora’s mother told WCMH-TV that the babysitter was more than apologetic about the scenario, and that she forgave her for “poor judgement.”
The Greenwood Police Department and the Department of Child Services are investigating the incident, WCMH-TV reported. The police department did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.
This article originally appeared on People.com
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief