President Barack Obama traveled to Orlando on Thursday to pay his respects to the victims of a deadly nightclub shooting that claimed 49 lives.
This was the president’s 10th visit to the scene of a mass shooting and Obama’s remarks mirrored that fact.
“Today, once again, as has been true too many times before, I held and hugged grieving family members and friends and they asked why does this keep happening. They pleaded that we do more to stop the carnage,” Obama said Thursday. “They don’t care about the politics. Neither do I. Niether does [Vice President] Joe [Biden].”
Read the rest of President Obama’s remarks in Orlando below:
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time