For almost three decades as a radio newscaster in Victoria, British Columbia, Sheila Gardner fielded countless comments from male listeners–not about stories but about syntax. They’d call up, night after night, anytime they detected anything that sounded like an error. And invariably they’d offer corrections. Read the rest here.
This appears in the June 27, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time