It’s the age-old battle of breakfast: are you in the mood for something sweet, or something savory?
But one doughnut chain in southern California has crafted a treat that avoids the flavor binary altogether. In the tradition of hybrids like the cronut, cruffin and bruffin, a humble pastry shop called Surfin’ Donuts offers an intriguing delicacy they’ve named the “doughrito.” It’s a burrito (with eggs, meat, cheese, salsa and a flour tortilla wrapper), but it’s also stuffed with a sweet glazed doughnut.
One intrepid FoodBeast reporter discovered the unique meal on a recent outing, and offered a rave review. Bakeries across the country, take note: this could very well be the next great breakfast food. And unlike a fancy cronut, anyone can make this — even at home. Let’s get cooking.
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time