The wife of the gunman behind the Orlando nightclub shooting that left 49 people dead potentially faces criminal charges in connection with the massacre, several media outlets are reporting.
Citing an unnamed law enforcement official, Reuters says that 30-year-old Noor Salman, the wife of gunman Omar Mateen, may have been aware of her husband’s plan to open fire at the gay nightclub Pulse early Sunday morning.
“It appears she had some knowledge of what was going on,” alleged U.S. Senator Angus King, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, on CNN. “She definitely is, I guess you would say, a person of interest right now and appears to be cooperating.”
Salman reportedly told investigators that she tried to talk her husband out of the attack and told FBI agents that she had driven her husband to Pulse on at least one occasion. (The FBI is currently investigating claims that Mateen was a regular patron of the gay club.)
According to Fox News, federal prosecutors have convened a grand jury to investigate her alleged involvement, and are seeking to charge her with being an accessory to 49 counts of murder and 53 counts of attempted murder, as well as failing to notify law enforcement officials about the attack.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer