At a Stonewall Inn rally and vigil Monday night for the victims of the deadly Orlando gay nightclub shooting, actor Tituss Burgess sang West Side Story’s “Somewhere” for thousands of mourners and LGBTQ allies.
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt actor, who is openly gay, belted the lyrics, “Somewhere, we’ll find a new way of living, we’ll find a new way of forgiving.”
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, pop star Nick Jonas and others spoke out about gun control and LGBT rights at the event to honor the 49 people who were killed when a shooter opened fire early Sunday morning at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
“Being here and seeing all of your faces has comforted me in a way that I did not expect on the way down here,” Burgess said at the rally. “I’m going to give you the one thing that I always had readily available,” he added, before breaking into song.
Burgess plays Kimmy Schmidt’s roommate, Titus Andromedon, on the Netflix original series.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time