Actor Tituss Burgess is no stranger to rap and theater: after all, his character in the Netflix comedy series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is known for his original rap song and accompanying homemade music video entitled “Peeno Noir.” So it’s not such a stretch that Burgess (in character as Unbreakable‘s Titus Andromedon) would put together an audition tape for Hamilton, looking to fill the shoes of superstar writer and actor Lin-Manuel Miranda and play the title role when the Tony winner takes his leave from the blockbuster show.
Burgess, in an old-fashioned overcoat and white wig, opens the tape with a disclaimer.
“Now, I’ve not actually been able to get tickets to Hamilton and no audition materials were made available to me… but I think I get it,” he says. He then holds up a ten dollar bill and launches into operatic song. “One day this is gonna be me, looking up from a sea of green!” he sings, before transitioning to his hip-hop side and freestyling a far-too-literal “rap.”
Titus Andromedon may be a diamond in the rough just like Hamilton himself—and we appreciate that he’s throwing away his shot—but let’s just say that the role will probably not be headed his way.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror