With the help of a two-dimensional storybook animation, Maui spins a yarn of the impressive feats he has accomplished with his magical fishhook — and then shows off some dancing tricks. Like the Rock himself, Maui is built of epic physical proportions and is bedecked in body art. But he has one adornment the Rock can only dream of: a “living” tattoo that moves across his chest. As he boasts of his past to an unimpressed Moana, voiced by 14-year-old Hawaiian native Auli’i Cravalho, we get a glimpse into the seafaring adventures the girl and god will get up to.
The teaser also debuts an original song by Tony winner Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa’i and Lion King composer Mark Mancina. The movie is set for release this Thanksgiving.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve