Obama was set to speak beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET, the White House said, in just the latest time in his presidency when he has spoken in the aftermath of a mass shooting.
Fifty people were killed and 53 were injured when the shooter, identified as Omar Mateen, opened fire at the crowded Pulse Orlando nightclub early Sunday morning. Authorities were investigating his motive and working to identify the victims on Sunday afternoon.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate