Hillary Clinton became the first woman chosen as the standard-bearer of a major American political party on Tuesday, as a crowd of hundreds relished the historic moment.
“Thanks to you, we’ve reached a milestone,” Clinton said during a victory speech in New York.“Don’t let anyone tell you that great things can’t happen in America. Barriers can come down.”
Watch the reaction of the crowd the moment Clinton celebrated the milestone, 96 years after American women first won the right to vote.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement