A Hindu priest has been found dead in western Bangladesh after having his throat cut, in what police say looks like another sectarian killing carried out by Islamists in the Muslim-majority country.
Farmers found the almost decapitated body of Ananda Gopal Ganguly, 70, near his home in Jhenidah district, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reports.
“We do not know the identity of the killers. His body was found in an isolated area and we do not believe there any witnesses to the killing,” district deputy police chief Gopinath Kanjilal told AFP. “But the pattern of the killing is similar to ones carried out by local Islamist militants in recent times.”
The killing comes after a Christian man was hacked to death and the wife of a senior antiterrorism police official was fatally stabbed and shot in the head in different parts of the country on Sunday. There have been at least 10 similar killings of minorities in the past 10 weeks, AFP says.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate