George R.R. Martin appeared at a science fiction convention in Baltimore this past weekend, where he shared an interesting biographical note about the knight Brienne of Tarth: she’s a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall, who was, as you’d gather, very tall. (Seven feet, to be precise.)
Duncan predated the show’s timeline by about a century, and, as Esquire reports, he has a special place in Martin’s heart. The author has penned a collection of novellas about the knight.
At his Baltimore appearance, Martin also read a chapter from Winds of Winter, the long-awaited next book in the series.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate