George R.R. Martin appeared at a science fiction convention in Baltimore this past weekend, where he shared an interesting biographical note about the knight Brienne of Tarth: she’s a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall, who was, as you’d gather, very tall. (Seven feet, to be precise.)
Duncan predated the show’s timeline by about a century, and, as Esquire reports, he has a special place in Martin’s heart. The author has penned a collection of novellas about the knight.
At his Baltimore appearance, Martin also read a chapter from Winds of Winter, the long-awaited next book in the series.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This