George R.R. Martin appeared at a science fiction convention in Baltimore this past weekend, where he shared an interesting biographical note about the knight Brienne of Tarth: she’s a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall, who was, as you’d gather, very tall. (Seven feet, to be precise.)
Duncan predated the show’s timeline by about a century, and, as Esquire reports, he has a special place in Martin’s heart. The author has penned a collection of novellas about the knight.
At his Baltimore appearance, Martin also read a chapter from Winds of Winter, the long-awaited next book in the series.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time