Beijing and other large Chinese cities top lists of the world’s most congested and polluted metropolitan areas. Chinese developers say the Transit Explore Bus could be part of a solution to both problems. The elevated bus, which is set to be tested this year, travels above the fray at a speed of about 40 m.p.h. (64 km/h), cruising over cars stuck in traffic and allowing traffic to pass below when it pauses at stations. And because it’s electric, it wouldn’t contribute to the smog that chokes so many Chinese cities.
For more on these ideas, visit time.com/ideas
This appears in the June 13, 2016 issue of TIME.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears