Beijing and other large Chinese cities top lists of the world’s most congested and polluted metropolitan areas. Chinese developers say the Transit Explore Bus could be part of a solution to both problems. The elevated bus, which is set to be tested this year, travels above the fray at a speed of about 40 m.p.h. (64 km/h), cruising over cars stuck in traffic and allowing traffic to pass below when it pauses at stations. And because it’s electric, it wouldn’t contribute to the smog that chokes so many Chinese cities.
For more on these ideas, visit time.com/ideas
This appears in the June 13, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World