The organization in charge of approving new emojis has selected 72 new ones that will roll out later this month and undoubtedly enhance your text messages.
Some highlights of the emoji additions include an avocado, an arm taking a selfie, a face palm, a pregnant woman, a dancing man and a face with a Pinocchio-esque nose. Another emoji offers a visual depiction of ROFL, meaning “rolling on the floor laughing.” And some of them are sure to come in handy ahead of the Summer Olympic Games—gymnast; fencer; and gold, silver and bronze medals.
The Unicode Consortium made a final decision to include these new emoji at a recent meeting. The complex process for approving new emoji involves thousand-word proposals and multiple committee votes.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now