Ephemeral messaging app Snapchat has added a Marilyn Monroe filter to its lineup of selfie enhancers in honor of the legendary leading lady’s 90th birthday. So if you’ve always dreamed of impersonating the iconic blonde bombshell, now’s your chance.
Kim Kardashian West, newly-minted Snapchat queen and selfie trailblazer, was the first to gain access to the special filter during a visit to Snapchat headquarters on Tuesday. She posted videos from the Los Angeles offices with a blonde wig, red lips, and classic beauty mark floating over her face. The filter also offers a subtle glowing effect — to give you that Old Hollywood glamour — and is now available to all users.
The Marilyn Monroe lens is currently one of 16 different options the app provides for snapping selfies with extra oomph. Other choices include a koala, a combat soldier and a vomiting tomato — but the Marilyn is the only one that actively emulates a particular person. In April, users complained when the app debuted a Bob Marley filter that added dreadlocks and darkened users’ skin tones, which some called “digital blackface.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating