Ephemeral messaging app Snapchat has added a Marilyn Monroe filter to its lineup of selfie enhancers in honor of the legendary leading lady’s 90th birthday. So if you’ve always dreamed of impersonating the iconic blonde bombshell, now’s your chance.
Kim Kardashian West, newly-minted Snapchat queen and selfie trailblazer, was the first to gain access to the special filter during a visit to Snapchat headquarters on Tuesday. She posted videos from the Los Angeles offices with a blonde wig, red lips, and classic beauty mark floating over her face. The filter also offers a subtle glowing effect — to give you that Old Hollywood glamour — and is now available to all users.
The Marilyn Monroe lens is currently one of 16 different options the app provides for snapping selfies with extra oomph. Other choices include a koala, a combat soldier and a vomiting tomato — but the Marilyn is the only one that actively emulates a particular person. In April, users complained when the app debuted a Bob Marley filter that added dreadlocks and darkened users’ skin tones, which some called “digital blackface.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms