Ephemeral messaging app Snapchat has added a Marilyn Monroe filter to its lineup of selfie enhancers in honor of the legendary leading lady’s 90th birthday. So if you’ve always dreamed of impersonating the iconic blonde bombshell, now’s your chance.
Kim Kardashian West, newly-minted Snapchat queen and selfie trailblazer, was the first to gain access to the special filter during a visit to Snapchat headquarters on Tuesday. She posted videos from the Los Angeles offices with a blonde wig, red lips, and classic beauty mark floating over her face. The filter also offers a subtle glowing effect — to give you that Old Hollywood glamour — and is now available to all users.
The Marilyn Monroe lens is currently one of 16 different options the app provides for snapping selfies with extra oomph. Other choices include a koala, a combat soldier and a vomiting tomato — but the Marilyn is the only one that actively emulates a particular person. In April, users complained when the app debuted a Bob Marley filter that added dreadlocks and darkened users’ skin tones, which some called “digital blackface.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.