Acclaimed “Piano Man” Billy Joel described Donald Trump’s presidential campaign as “very entertaining” on Saturday, after dedicating a song to the presumptive Republican nominee at his Madison Square Garden concert in New York on Friday.
Trump immediately accepted the shoutout as a compliment, while others quickly speculated Joel might have meant it as a joke.
Joel said Trump’s campaign has been “very entertaining” but dismissed the notion that his own political opinion matters.
“I’m in the entertainment business. Donald Trump’s campaign has been very entertaining,” Joel told TIME in an email on Saturday. “Aside from that, who cares about the political opinions of a piano player?”
As he did on Friday, Joel has dedicated “The Entertainer” to Trump at several concerts in recent months. The song’s lyrics include:
On other occasions, Joel has also dedicated “New York State of Mind” to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz after he made disparaging comments about “New York values.”
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up