Acclaimed “Piano Man” Billy Joel described Donald Trump’s presidential campaign as “very entertaining” on Saturday, after dedicating a song to the presumptive Republican nominee at his Madison Square Garden concert in New York on Friday.
Trump immediately accepted the shoutout as a compliment, while others quickly speculated Joel might have meant it as a joke.
Joel said Trump’s campaign has been “very entertaining” but dismissed the notion that his own political opinion matters.
“I’m in the entertainment business. Donald Trump’s campaign has been very entertaining,” Joel told TIME in an email on Saturday. “Aside from that, who cares about the political opinions of a piano player?”
As he did on Friday, Joel has dedicated “The Entertainer” to Trump at several concerts in recent months. The song’s lyrics include:
On other occasions, Joel has also dedicated “New York State of Mind” to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz after he made disparaging comments about “New York values.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was