Acclaimed “Piano Man” Billy Joel described Donald Trump’s presidential campaign as “very entertaining” on Saturday, after dedicating a song to the presumptive Republican nominee at his Madison Square Garden concert in New York on Friday.
Trump immediately accepted the shoutout as a compliment, while others quickly speculated Joel might have meant it as a joke.
Joel said Trump’s campaign has been “very entertaining” but dismissed the notion that his own political opinion matters.
“I’m in the entertainment business. Donald Trump’s campaign has been very entertaining,” Joel told TIME in an email on Saturday. “Aside from that, who cares about the political opinions of a piano player?”
As he did on Friday, Joel has dedicated “The Entertainer” to Trump at several concerts in recent months. The song’s lyrics include:
On other occasions, Joel has also dedicated “New York State of Mind” to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz after he made disparaging comments about “New York values.”
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This