Acclaimed “Piano Man” Billy Joel described Donald Trump’s presidential campaign as “very entertaining” on Saturday, after dedicating a song to the presumptive Republican nominee at his Madison Square Garden concert in New York on Friday.
Trump immediately accepted the shoutout as a compliment, while others quickly speculated Joel might have meant it as a joke.
Joel said Trump’s campaign has been “very entertaining” but dismissed the notion that his own political opinion matters.
“I’m in the entertainment business. Donald Trump’s campaign has been very entertaining,” Joel told TIME in an email on Saturday. “Aside from that, who cares about the political opinions of a piano player?”
As he did on Friday, Joel has dedicated “The Entertainer” to Trump at several concerts in recent months. The song’s lyrics include:
On other occasions, Joel has also dedicated “New York State of Mind” to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz after he made disparaging comments about “New York values.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com