Both of Donald Trump’s rallies in California on Friday were met by protesters, some of whom clashed with law enforcement and were arrested, prompting Trump to thank police for “handling the thugs.”
“Fantastic job on handling the thugs who tried to disrupt our very peaceful and well attended rally,” Trump tweeted to the San Diego Police Department on Friday night. “Greatly appreciated!”
While protesters gathered outside a rally in Fresno earlier in the day, Trump’s San Diego rally drew a larger crowd. About 35 people were arrested Friday outside Trump’s rally in San Diego, where about 1,000 protesters had gathered, CNN reported. The Associated Press reported that about a dozen people were arrested.
Police attempted to disperse the crowd in San Diego, declaring the protest unlawful after shouting matches broke out and people threw trash at one another, the AP reported. At another point, tension rose as police officers wearing riot gear and wielding batons shoved protesters back to keep them from Trump supporters. Police also used pepper spray on several protesters, according to CNN.
But for the most part, the gathering merely involved shouting and chanting, the network reported. The signs and chants of both Trump’s supporters and opponents made reference to his controversial comments on immigration and his plan to build a wall along the Mexican border.
There were no reports of injuries or property damage at the San Diego protest, according to NBC.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating