For Dubai’s latest twist on luxe living, don’t look up–look down, into the Persian Gulf. That’s where developer Kleindienst is building dozens of half-submerged $3.3 million vacation homes, each with an underwater master bedroom. The Floating Seahorse villas, set to begin opening this fall with their own coral gardens, are named for the rare creatures they aim to attract, both for decoration and preservation. “We’re building an entire habitat,” says architect Paulo André.
This appears in the June 06, 2016 issue of TIME.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate