Two members and a coach of Spain’s sailing team were robbed at gunpoint in a popular tourist area of Rio de Janeiro while in the city to train for the Olympic Games beginning in under three weeks.
Fernando Echavarri, Tara Pacheco and coach Santi Lopez-Vazquez were “assaulted by five people armed with pistols,” said the Spanish sailing federation in a statement, the AP reports. The Olympians were on their way to breakfast at the time, and were not hurt during the attack.
“It was a very unpleasant experience,” said Lopez-Vázquez. “There were five youths with two pistols. They took all the work equipment we were carrying at that time.”
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working