Two members and a coach of Spain’s sailing team were robbed at gunpoint in a popular tourist area of Rio de Janeiro while in the city to train for the Olympic Games beginning in under three weeks.
Fernando Echavarri, Tara Pacheco and coach Santi Lopez-Vazquez were “assaulted by five people armed with pistols,” said the Spanish sailing federation in a statement, the AP reports. The Olympians were on their way to breakfast at the time, and were not hurt during the attack.
“It was a very unpleasant experience,” said Lopez-Vázquez. “There were five youths with two pistols. They took all the work equipment we were carrying at that time.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at email@example.com