There’s only one way to describe Beyoncé fan India Ross’ prom dress: flawless. The 18-year-old St. Louis, Missouri high school student created a DIY version of the Lemonade singer’s sheer and jewel-encrusted Givenchy gown for the 2015 Met Gala and it basically won the Internet.
Ross told Cosmopolitan that she wanted to make a dress that would help her channel Queen Bey. “When I gave my designer my money I said, ‘Can you make me feel like I’m Beyoncé?'” Ross said. “And that’s what she did.”
To create her viral sensation of a dress, Ross and a local designer, Toi Hall, worked together to recreate the gown using materials from stores like Walmart and Michael’s; she later completed the look with the same high ponytail that Bey rocked on the Met Gala red carpet.
Ross also told Cosmo that she has ambitions to work in the fashion industry and would like to open her own business and become a celebrity stylist.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now