There’s only one way to describe Beyoncé fan India Ross’ prom dress: flawless. The 18-year-old St. Louis, Missouri high school student created a DIY version of the Lemonade singer’s sheer and jewel-encrusted Givenchy gown for the 2015 Met Gala and it basically won the Internet.
Ross told Cosmopolitan that she wanted to make a dress that would help her channel Queen Bey. “When I gave my designer my money I said, ‘Can you make me feel like I’m Beyoncé?'” Ross said. “And that’s what she did.”
To create her viral sensation of a dress, Ross and a local designer, Toi Hall, worked together to recreate the gown using materials from stores like Walmart and Michael’s; she later completed the look with the same high ponytail that Bey rocked on the Met Gala red carpet.
Ross also told Cosmo that she has ambitions to work in the fashion industry and would like to open her own business and become a celebrity stylist.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating