But a select group of endangered species face an even greater threat. Animals in this group, included in the galley above, have been labelled “critically endangered” and teeter on the brink of extinction.
The threats faced include everything from deforestation to climate change. And, conservationists say, any effort to save endangered animals must deal with the surrounding issues to sustain itself. The annual Endangered Species Day—recognized on May 20—is a great place to start.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State