A photograph of a Home Depot worker wearing a hat that reads “America Was Never Great” drew outrage and sparked death threats and racial vilification when it went viral on Wednesday.
Krystal Lake said it was the only time she wore the hat to work at the store’s Staten Island branch was shocked by the frenzy it caused, according to local news source SILive.com.
The phrase parodies Donald Trump’s campaign slogan “Make America Great Again,” which is emblazoned on hats worn by the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and his supporters.
Lake said the hat was meant to suggest that America “needs changing and improvement,” according to SILive.com. “I know there are a lot of opportunities here,” Lake said, “I just wish we would worry about making America better, not ‘great again.’”
Despite her intentions, Lake said she has received dozens of death threats and racist abuse for expressing her political views.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk