A photograph of a Home Depot worker wearing a hat that reads “America Was Never Great” drew outrage and sparked death threats and racial vilification when it went viral on Wednesday.
Krystal Lake said it was the only time she wore the hat to work at the store’s Staten Island branch was shocked by the frenzy it caused, according to local news source SILive.com.
The phrase parodies Donald Trump’s campaign slogan “Make America Great Again,” which is emblazoned on hats worn by the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and his supporters.
Lake said the hat was meant to suggest that America “needs changing and improvement,” according to SILive.com. “I know there are a lot of opportunities here,” Lake said, “I just wish we would worry about making America better, not ‘great again.’”
Despite her intentions, Lake said she has received dozens of death threats and racist abuse for expressing her political views.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer