An elderly man said he fatally shot his ailing wife while she slept because he couldn’t afford her medication, according to an arrest affidavit.
William J. Hager, 86, allegedly told deputies who were sent to his home in Port St. Lucie, Florida, that he had “bad news” and had killed his wife about five hours earlier.
Carolyn F. Hager was found propped up with pillows and covered with a blanket in bed with a gunshot wound to the left side of her head.
The affidavit quoted the victim’s husband as apologizing to police for not contacting them earlier. “I wanted to…”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time