An elderly man said he fatally shot his ailing wife while she slept because he couldn’t afford her medication, according to an arrest affidavit.
William J. Hager, 86, allegedly told deputies who were sent to his home in Port St. Lucie, Florida, that he had “bad news” and had killed his wife about five hours earlier.
Carolyn F. Hager was found propped up with pillows and covered with a blanket in bed with a gunshot wound to the left side of her head.
The affidavit quoted the victim’s husband as apologizing to police for not contacting them earlier. “I wanted to…”
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now