An elderly man said he fatally shot his ailing wife while she slept because he couldn’t afford her medication, according to an arrest affidavit.
William J. Hager, 86, allegedly told deputies who were sent to his home in Port St. Lucie, Florida, that he had “bad news” and had killed his wife about five hours earlier.
Carolyn F. Hager was found propped up with pillows and covered with a blanket in bed with a gunshot wound to the left side of her head.
The affidavit quoted the victim’s husband as apologizing to police for not contacting them earlier. “I wanted to…”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science