A 13-year-old girl in Iowa died after she jumped onto a hammock, causing an attached brick pillar that was supporting it to collapse on her head, police said.
Peri Sagun, of Des Moines, was rushed to the hospital but could not be saved after the incident at her home Saturday, the Des Moines Register reports. The teenager and her 16-year-old sister had tied one end of the hammock to a tree and the other to a 5-foot-tall brick light post, according to the newspaper. Her sister was already on the hammock when she leaped in and was unharmed in the accident.
Police said it appeared the pillar wasn’t placed deep enough into the ground for proper reinforcement, the Register said.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating